Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Sonic the Steampunk Robot




 SONIC THE ROBOT by Patricia Krauchune 

For my April Makin's Clay® project, I decided to upcycle a few things I had in my studio. I used the base of an electric toothbrush replacement head for my robot's body. I also used some other random parts I had to adorn him. 

Supply List:

Makin's Clay® in Black     Small Gear                       Copper Wire             Small Piece of Ball Chain
2 Gear Plunger Cutters       Mini Gauge                      Misc. Parts               DAP Rapid Fuse™ Glue
Toothbrush Base                 Createx™ Pearlized         BSI™ 5 Minute       Victoria James Lava Rock
Old Light Bulb                       Copper Paint                  Quik-Cure™              Real Texture Sheet 
2 Square Eyelets                 Beacon™ Tacky Glue       Epoxy                      2 Electrical Ring Terminals
DecoArt® Metallic 
   Lustre™ Silver Spark

Recommended Makin’s® Tools:

Makin's Professional® 
  • Ultimate Clay Machine®
  • Mat
  • Professional Clay Tools

Instructions: 
                                    

Roll out some Black Makin's Clay® on the #1 setting on the Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine®.  I used two different size gear plunger cutters to cut out two gears. I left the clay in the cutters for 2 days to completely dry out. It is a little bit of a challenge to remove the gear cut outs from the plungers but it can be done gently.
 

This is what the cut out gears look like after drying. I trimmed away any extra clay to give the gears a nice sharp look.


 

The center of the smaller gear was cut out and then I painted both gears with the Createx™ Pearlized Copper paint.  Set aside to dry. 

 

I cut out a small piece from each electrical ring terminal to give the appearance of a robot hand.  Then I placed each terminal in a small vise and added the ball chain gluing in place with the BSI™ 5 minute Quik-Cure™ Epoxy and let dry overnight. 


More black clay was rolled out on the #1 setting of the Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine® and applied to the toothbrush base.  I first brushed on some Beacon's™ Tacky Glue for better adhesion.  I then immediately textured the base using the Victoria James Art Lava Rock Real Texture sheet. 


While the clay was still wet, I pushed a small gear into the middle of the robot body.  Dry overnight.  
When dry I glued a small gauge onto the gear using DAP Rapid Fuse™ Glue. 


I used a Japanese Screw punch to make small holes on either side of the robot's body for the arms.  I then used epoxy to glue the eyelets, then the ball chain are into each eyelet.


I had a spring part from an old phone that I attached to the top of a light bulb using epoxy.  A small gear was added to the body as well as a little coil I made from copper wire. 

I used my finger to apply the DecoArt® Metallic Lustre™ Silver Spark paint to the robot's body. 

At this point you can adorn your robot with whatever parts you have on hand and make him your own. 

Next I used the epoxy to glue the larger gear to the base of the robot's body and the smaller gear to the top followed by the light bulb.



FINISHED! I think Sonic looks pretty cool and I used some parts that would normally just get tossed out. 




No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *